- 1950 - Mike Ayres was born
- 1965 - Left School
- 1965 to 1968 - Worked in a hardware shop and gained a City and Guilds in Retail Management
- 1968 to 1972 - Studied and practiced as a Graphic Designer
- 1972 to 1975 - Was a Youth Hostel warden
- 1975 to 1978 - Did a post grad course in ‘Play Equipment Design’
- 1978 to 1983 - Carried out research into ‘the play and leisure needs for people with learning difficulties and challenging needs
- 1980 and on - Worked as an independent designer and consultant for organisations, authorities and companies
- Mid 1980s - Created the first ‘Snoezelen’ rooms in the UK
- 1988 and on- Creating Sensory rooms in Germany, France, Italy, Russia and Holland as well as the UK
- 1990 to 1998 - Mike Ayres Design underwent a number of organisational changes, but always continued to design and create Multi- Sensory and Soft Play environments and equipment
- 1998 - Mike Ayres Design Ltd. (in it’s present form) was founded
Today - Mike Ayres Design is still very much involved in pushing forward the frontiers of development in Multi-Sensory environments and work. The aim of Mike Ayres Design is to produce the very best environments and tools for sensory learning and create a completely integrated system for accessing, controlling and enjoying your environment, whatever your ability.
Our original designs and Trade Marks include, Loopies, Sensearound, Sensory Studios, Switch2 and Switch4. Current projects include; the new ‘Space 2’ project, Multi-Sensory facilities throughout the whole school on a number of sites, ongoing development of a number of individual and integrated pieces of equipment and the continuing development of the ‘Switch4’ iPad room and equipment control app.
Tomorrow - We continue to strive to be the very best in our field of work and give the best service possible.
We are also very excited about a number of new products and concepts that we are working on. We will be here for sometime yet...